Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a Research Librarian.
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

I have just seen 'woman in gold' and was wondering what beca

I have just seen 'woman in gold' and was wondering what became of Adele Bloch-bauer's famous necklace at the end of the war? I can find no trace of its existence after it coming into the possession of Frau goering!
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Great movie as well as a great question about the necklace. Conducted some research on this today and after quite awhile found a mention in USA Today written last year. In the article it is stated that "Uncle Ferry's Klimt paintings and Altmann's diamond earrings and necklace were seized that way. Researcher Lillie recently found that the forfeited jewels later were bought by Hermann Goering, Adolf Hitler's top deputy. Altmann got them back after Goering was captured by the Allies in 1945." http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-02-23-nazi_x.htm