Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

Some of my Sarasa Comet goldfish have developed an illness

Some of my Sarasa Comet goldfish have developed an illness that I cannot identify. For a few years now a couple of the older ones have had rounded lumps which were previously identified as non contagious tumours. More recently a couple started to develop sores on their sides, and now the older ones have a sore like wound which starts at the base of the tail and seems to dissolve the fin outwards. The affected area of tail is very red and the central part of the tail gone. I have pictures. Can you tell me what this is and if I can treat it? Thanks. Ian
Category: General
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ian. I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at different times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. Some additional information will help me figure out what's going on. Your pictures would be very useful. You can upload them by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up. Also, let me know if the fish live outdoors in a pond or inside in a tank.Thank you. Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Anna,

Please see the image below.

The fish are kept outside. Water parameters are all fine except nitrate a little high at 40 mg/l. (The nitrates in London tap water are so high that water changes will not help!). It is not possible to buy antibiotics over the counter in the UK. I have been recommended a product called "eSHa 2000" but I can see it has copper in it, and I really don't want to destroy the biological filter and cause even more distress to the fish with ammonia and nitrite spikes. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks, Ian

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me, Ian. Nitrates at 40 ppm are not going to cause a problem. You are wise to avoid the copper-based medicine. It seems strange to me that you can buy it, but not antibiotics, but then, I'm not in charge of any government.

It looks like your fish are suffering from a terrible case of skin ulcers. I'll give you some measures to take since you can't get antibiotics. Buy some aquarium salt, which is sold in most pet stores. It should be added to the pond at the rate of 1 gram per 4 liter. Also buy some Melafix and Pimafix. These medicines can safely be used together, and will treat the secondary bacterial and fungal infections that often develop in ulcers. Use according to the instructions on the bottle. You can also add StressCoat to help restore the protective slime coat on the fish. Here is an online source for Melafix and Pimafix in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Melafix-118ml-120g/dp/B0034DFBV8

If the ulcers clear up, but then return, they are probably being caused by a parasite in your water. In that case, you'll need to buy an antiparasitic medication that is safe for goldfish. These are also available in pet stores, but don't take this step just yet. Try the above measures first.

If nothing helps, the only remaining option is to see a fish vet for prescription medications. This link will take you to a directory:

http://www.fishvetsociety.org.uk/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userslist&listid=4&Itemid=84

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your fish will reach a full recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Will the salt harm aquatic plants? (***** *****lies, oxygenators, marginals)

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Aquatic plants can be sensitive to salt, so I would skip that step. Just try the other two medications.
If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your help. I got both medications today so fingers crossed!

One more question, the oldest of the fish is very bloated and has a couple of lumps. He seems happy and eats well, but is getting progressively more misshapen. Is there anything I can do? I have attached a pic below.

Thanks, Ian

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, Ian. There is most likely nothing you can do for the fish in the picture. Such swelling is often caused by a disorder of internal organs, often of the kidneys or heart. He could also have tumors causing the misshapen body. Whichever it is, there is, unfortunately, no treatment for such conditions in fish. However, as long as the fish is swimming about and eating, there's no harm in letting it continue like this. Some fish go on for months or even years with such conditions. when it reaches the point that he can't eat or swim properly, it will be time to consider euthanasia. Let me know if you need anything else. Anna