Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

What more can I say ? My cat came to me about four years ago

What more can I say ? My cat came to me about four years ago no one claimed it it's an all black cat who was in a dreadful state but now is a beautiful cat with a shinning coat it gets the very best of everything .But it suddenly lost about an inch of fur off the inside of its right leg I thought perhaps it had got its leg trapped some where it wasn't sore or hot .The fur grew back within days I thought no more about it ,but today I noticed another area inside its back right leg .not inflamed or sore looking .the cat was or is a very nervous cat and now is constantly grooming itself in both those regions. Help !
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Feline Health. Your cat is termed as having Psychogenic Alopecia. It it something we see quite often in nervous cat. It basically means excessive licking causing bald areas on the body. There is Medication your Vet can prescribe the cat. You can also try products Like a Pheromone which make the cat feel like it is back nursing on its mother. These Pheromones are very good to help with this type of problem. ComfortZone by Feliway comes in a spray and diffusser that plugs into the wall. Pheromone do not have a smell to humans and only your cat will smell it. two other ways to help would be a holistic product called Rescue Remedy, but be sure to get the formula that does not have artificial sweeteners like Xylitolor alcohol. The other product is composure chews which are a calming treat that work very well for a nervous cat. The biggest thing is no changes. Cats are creatures of habit and a nervous cat is more apt to have this problem. This is some information on Psychogenic Alopecia: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/compulsive-behavior-cats and http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/09/10/cats-excessive-grooming.aspx If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. If you have more questions please hit reply.Joan