Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I wish to open a bank account in Thailand. I am an Irish national

Customer Question

I wish to open a bank account in Thailand. I am an Irish national living in the UK and I am buying an apartment in Bangkok, but I need a bank account first.
How do i do this?
Category: General
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.co.uk.
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Thailand, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.
At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi NicolaThank you for your reply. Can you please contact an internet researcher and provide any guidance possible?Regards,
Patrick
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I will move this to General for you.
Expert:  Patience replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nicola- Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am glad that you have been able to wait for an answer to your question, as i have been away from my desk for a bit. Please check out my response and then give a rating. this will insure that I am credited for it. After that I can answer any follow up questions needed at no extra charge. When opening a bank account in Thailand, how things go often it depends on the branch and the staff at the branch, because each has its own policies. If one bank or branch turns you down, you’ll probably find that the next branch will accept you. Just keep applying at branches for an account until you “get lucky.” You can even try visiting branches in different regions if needed. Eventually, you should be able to a bank that will give you an account. Technically, foreigners are required to have a work permit to open a bank account. In practice, however, many branches will open an account for a foreigner without a work permit. They may ask you for it, but if you say you don’t have one, the staff will often decide that there is no need for it. At many banks, they do not ask for it at all. Once you have found a bank, it should take an hour or less to set up a savings account. You’ll have to check with your particular branch to know what they consider required documentation. A general rule of thumb is that you need to show evidence that you reside in Thailand along with a valid passport and a visa. Proving residence can be accomplished with a copy of your lease agreement or even a letter from your interim hotel or guesthouse stating that you “live” there. Having photo identification such as a student ID card or a driver’s license may also prove useful as will a reference letter from your embassy or your home bank. As I said previously, it will really depend on the branch as to what will be required. Therefore, it pays to take along whatever paperwork you can get! Together with your documents, a small initial deposit will secure you a passbook and an ATM card. Don’t forget to have on hand important contact information, such as your address and phone number as well. The bank official will make photocopies of your documents and have you sign a few forms, and then you should be done. Thailand places a great emphasis on the “home branch” where you initially open your account. A lot of banking services can only be performed at your home branch, so keep in mind that it might prove frustrating and inconvenient if you happen to pick something far from your place of work or living. The Thai bank book replaces a monthly bank statement. It’s a good idea to have your banking staff explain to you exactly how to update it at the bank’s branches. You should also take the opportunity to get detailed instructions on how to set up internet banking and use your debit card for online transactions. These are not as straightforward as transactions in the UK. For instance, you might have to use OTPs (one time passwords) that the bank sets up for you. Bank credit cards are generally only issued to foreign applicants who hold non-immigrant visas and work permits with a proof of income. Banks generally require that the applicant has been working 3 to 6 months with the same employer before issuing a credit card. Thailand is such a lovely country! Here's hoping you will be enjoying the ex-pat experience there. best regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Patience replied 1 year ago.

Hello Patrick.

I am wondering if my answer has supplied the information you need. Please let me know if you need something else, such as information on how to wire funds to your bank account. Once you have rated my response so that I can be credited for it, I will be happy to continue the discussion, if needed, at no extra charge.

Best regards, Patience P.