Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

I have a male bearded dragon who is approx 4 and half years

Hi I have a male bearded dragon who is approx 4 and half years old. The last few days he doesn't look good he is black underneath his chin and light everywhere else which is unusual for him (normally he is a bit darker all over and awake) he is staying asleep even if I take him out and try to bathe him and is very limp but he is still breathing? Is this brumation? He has been basking under the lamp for the past day at least. Also in the previous months we have had to clean his eyes a lot where he has shed his skin and scratches his eyes they have stuck together but with regular cleaning they are okay now (just thought I would mention that incase that is a connection?). Please help. Do I take him to his vet? Thanks in advance.
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Substrate?Diet Veggies/Prey?Supplements?UVB bulb? Linear tube or compact coil, age of bulb, strength, and brand?Basking Bulb?Temps in Basking area, warm side and cool side?How do you measure temps?Any nasal discharge?Any gaping or wheezing?Joan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Joan,
Franks tank has the carpet in that we wash when we clean hin out. He eats a rotation of broccolli, carrots and apple with some hoppers. We use cod liver oil occasionally as he has suffered with eye problems in the past. Also has the exo terra adult soft pellets too. Has moreo worms too every now and then. Has uv bulb with linear tube and the bulb is about 6 months old and strength of tube is 40w. Brand of tube is repti glow10 exo terra. Has a basking bulb on hot side of tank temp in the hot side is approx 30-35degrees and cold side is about 25degrees these are measured by thermometers on either side that are permanently fixed. No nasal discharge although I did try to open his mouth and that had what looked like a bit of discharge or something similar? Every now and then he has been gaping for a big breath I think when I tried to bathe him. My husband has just told me that he has been trying to bury himself in between the rocks whether that's him trying to go into this brumation I don't know? Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
Hello,The diet you are feeding is improper. He needs 80% veggies and 20% live prey. But the Vegggies you are feeding are not good. He need collard greens, rocket greens, escarole, mustard greens, dandelion greens and Butternut squash. That you have fed can make him ill. this is a link for Nutrition. Follow the green foods:http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htmlThe next issue is the UVB looses Potency at 6 months and needs to be replaced. Without UVB and a good calcium supplement a Dragon can get Metabolic Bone Disease and I get very concerned. The UVB can help with appetite, and lethargy as well as keeping the Dragons immune system working properly. I am concerned right now with the black bread and the mucus in the mouth we may be dealing with an infection or a parasite issue and at this time I do recommend a Herp Vet visit to have him checked out hands on. I am usually not an alarmist, but if he is trying to Brumate and ill, that can be deadly for him. These are links for Herp Vets in the UK:http://www.herpvetconnection.com/uk.shtml and http://www.anapsid.org/vets/england.htmlI do suggest changing the light tomorrow, since I know it is late there. Also a Herp Vet visit tomorrow for him. Please let me know if you ned clarification by hitting reply.Normally I suggest a soak in Dioralyte for hydration, but very concerned about a possible respiratory infection. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 Stars.Joan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will ring up the vets first thing tomorrow for emergency appointment and change the light and diet too. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
I hope all turns out well! Happy Holidays!
Joan