Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a Research Librarian.
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

I do boxing sparring with a lot of guys who have a much longer

I do boxing sparring with a lot of guys who have a much longer reach than me. What are the best ways I can deal with their long reach and get in close?
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Many professional boxers have been successful in beating their opponents who had a longer reach than themselves. As for ways in which to deal with their long reach and get in close:1. The "danger zone" is where you are as close to the opponent to be hit as well as hit back. You will eventually have to enter this zone to make contact so working toward getting the other guy down before attacking is key.2. Tall guys have a longer jab so try to time the jab and enter when they retract. Come in under the job or behind it.3. Throw a harder left or right punch to work your way in while they retreat.4. Many experienced boxers will use lead overhand rights to get inside on a tall opponent. This is because they aren’t use to seeing punches come down at them.5. Taller fighters often have slim arms so try hitting around the shoulders or upper arms to weaken him and then attack inside.