Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

My leopard geckos seem very unsettled since we moved house 2

Hi. My leopard geckos seem very unsettled since we moved house 2 months ago. Before they were quite lazy and sleepy but now they spend most of the evening sliding down the glass as though they want to come out. When we handle them they are alot more skitty aswel and just seem unsettled.
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet Supplements?

Temps in enclosure?

Moist hide?

Diet?

Eating normally?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Joan. Thankyou for your response. They are in a vivarium temperatures between 28 and 35 degrees. They have a red bulb on in the day and then a heat mat at night. Their substrate is calci sand. They are fed on crickets and Mario worms and their stools are normal however their appetite has decreased the last month. Some days they are not interested in food. I don't supply a moist hide as my previous gecko never used it and it began to smell and condensate the glass and make the sand moist. I hope this is plenty information for you and I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The vivarium has been set up exactly the same and nothing has changed in the 2 years I've had them other than me moving house.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

The firs problem I see is the calcium sand it is deadly. When ingested it will eventually harden in the intestinal tract and cause a blockage. Geckos taste their surroundings and in doing this get the sand in their mouths. No loose substrate is safe. I suggest cage carpet, tile or paper only. As far as the behavior, They are active at night which is very normal. In activity at night usually mean something in the habitat was wrong and now since the move they are active again. As far as the red bulb I would not use that since they are know to case thermal burns. Geckos like heat from underneath. Generally an under the tank heater on a thermostat is used. You can use the black light bulb which is much safer in you use a bulb from above.

Right now with what you have said the only thing that may be off if the slower appetite which we do see in during breeding season. At this point in time I would continue to monitor them. There is nothing specific that I could pinpoint that seem wrong. You could have them see a Herp Vet and I can give you a link for some if you tell me where in the UK. Other than the calci sand all seems good.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for all your help. I just didn't want the sliding down the glass to be due to stress but maybe they are just being nosey! I will not hesitate to change the substrate and lighting. Is the moist area a necessity in the vivarium?..if there is any shed left on their toes I paddle them in cool water to release it. Many thanks again.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

It is called glass dancing and usually when they are active and happy this is done. We do recommend a moist hide to aid with shedding and keep it on the warm side of the tank, but it should not cause a problem in the tank. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.