Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

Gardening question: Which variety of raspberry is most

Gardening question: Which variety of raspberry is most suitable for growing in County Fermanagh?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of gardening experience. Which raspberry will grow best greatly depends on the soil type. I just did a little reading on the soil types in your area, and learned that there are 8 different types. However, we don't have to get that picky to figure out the best raspberry. If you'll tell me if your garden soil is nice loam, sandy, or clay, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think that the area where I am planning the fruit garden is clay, though I have not done an analysis. Currently it is overgrown with birch, willow, hazel and lots of dumped rubbish. We are planning to get a digger in to clear the big stuff, instal drainage and establish terraces with supporting stone walls. At that stage, maybe we could adjust the soil composition, like getting in some topsoil - what do you think?
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. We are dealing with a large time zone difference since I live in the central part of the States, but we can work around that.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I have grown raspberries in every type of soil, but they do best in a nice sandy loam. Clay is harder for them to become established and they don't produce as well in it. They usually die if grown in clay that tends to stay wet, and the plants you presently have growing on the site are some that like wet conditions. You'll take care of that with the drainage you plan to install.

When you are ready, it would definitely be best to amend the soil. Bringing in topsoil would be good, but if possible, you can make it even better by amending with some sand and well-rotted manure. If your soil is acidic, you'll also want to mix in some lime.

As for the varieties. If you want an early summer bearer, Malling Jewel and Glen Ample would be good choices. For an autumn fruiting variety, Autumn Bliss would be excellent.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you much success with your project.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Anna. No problem with the time zone - no urgency, as this is a long-term project. I'll remember you for future gardeing questions. Thanks again. THE END.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. If you wish to reach me in the future, begin your questions with "for Anna only," and I'll respond as soon as I log on. Thank you.