Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

My dog was chasing her ball and ran into some bushes. These

My dog was chasing her ball and ran into some bushes. These bushes had some nettles in and amongst. She is never usually bothered by nettles. However she immediately started rubbing her eye and it became red and sore an she is struggling to open the eye. We rinsed it with cooled boiled water and have now put her plastic collar on to stop her rubbing it. Should we seek further veterinary advice or wait and see how it is in the morning? I have also given her a piriton tablet that she takes for hayfever.
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you with your dog.

The Fact the eye is swollen and closed indicates there may have been a Corneal abrasion or Corneal ulceration from the stinging Nettles. The eye should be seen by a Vet as they may have to administer an Antibiotic with an Anti inflammatory to treat the eye. Eyes are very sensitive and can easily be injured by a foriegn body. Please hit reply to discuss this information or if you need further help. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Joan
Your answer was bang on the money. We took her o an emergency vets service and their diagnosis and treatment was exactly as you diagnosed. Mild corneal abrasions. They also gave some saline drops in addition to the ABX and anti inflammatory injection, to keep the eye moist. Well done and thanks XXX