Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a Research Librarian.
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

What woul happen to a male swimmer in speedos that was eaten

hello what woul happen to a male swimmer in speedos that was eaten by a very large shark. thanks
Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.
Customer: how will the shark attack, how much will it eat , and what all will be digested
Assistant: It's only $5.
Customer: ok
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: not at moment
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Good afternoon,

From research done this afternoon, it is reported that sharks will not often attack a human as it is often mistaken identity. They are looking for other prey and humans are just something that is often thought of as "hit and run".

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sharks/FS_faq.htm

While it is rare that any human has been eaten by a shark, story a few years ago on a man that was inside a shark was reported:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1540443/Man-swallowed-by-great-white-says-it-was-like-being-trapped-in-a-cave.html

Story also on how a man was found inside a shark as posted here:

http://www.animalseatinganimals.com/2010/10/captured-shark-found-to-have-man-inside.html

Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

By reading and seeing the not so nice pictures on the last link that you can see what parts of a body would be digested by a shark if it decides to eat a human.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello , sorry if this is a repeat, not sure if the follow up request for information went throu,
I have read that ther have been afew casesof a large great white shark swallowing a person,((a male swimmer/diver)) whole . if this did happen , what would happen to the person, and the swim suit etc that they had been wearing , how long would the shark take to digest the person and what might be left afterwards, many thanks .
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

The site listed above gives us a bit of understanding of what happens to the human body when eaten by a shark. Looking at these not easy to look at pictures can offer information on how a shark would digest someone:

Since sharks swallow whole what is food for them, a person would be a different type of thing to digest. From information on shark digestion, sharks digest too slowly to deal with the human body's high ratio of bone to muscle/fat. This is why, in general, great whites tend to stop an attack after the first bite.

In general as seen in the link above, a shark will leave the body intact overall as it is just too difficult to digest a human because of the ratio of bone and muscle.

Take care,

Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

Take care,

Michael