Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

I signed a contract with a fitness studio in 2011 when I was

Customer Question

I signed a contract with a fitness studio in 2011 when I was studying at the University. Since the contract was only written in German, the lady at the fitness studio explained everything to me in English. English was our communication language. I was told I could stop the contract at anytime. I had to pay a student price of 10 euros every week that I did fitness. Just 2 weeks after I signed the contract, I got a student job offer during semester holidays for 3 months. I told them I will be out of town but I received a bill of 156 euros during that time. However, the bill was later cancelled. As I returned I moved out of the student hostel which was close to the fitness studio. it normally took me less than 20 minutes to get there with public transport. In my new location, I needed more than an hour to get there. At the same time I had to do extensive laboratory work to write my final masters thesis. So I went there and explained my condition to them and asked that my contract be terminated. She said I only pay for the weeks that I came over to exercise so it is ok to continue with my laboratory work and come back when I am done. When I finished with my studies, I decided to go home and visit my parents in April 2013. 3 days to my depareture, I received a bill of 200 euros from the fitness studio, so i went there and was bent to pay that money and terminate the contract for good. The assistant at the reception called the manager who then told me they will not terminate the contract since I only did exercise there for just a few weeks. When i came back from home, I received a new bill of 500 euros from them. I need advice. She says she will only terminate my contract when I will be leaving Germany for good. She did not bring me here and she never told me this when she explained everything to me. I am no longer a student, how can a student contract continue when I have finished school. I need an advice.
Thanks for understanding. Should I visit a lawyer?
Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer,

thank you so much for using Just Answer

Could you mail or fax me the contract?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Please can I send it to you tomorrow? I have to look for it and use a public scanner. I will do that early tomorrow and send it to you.

Thanks for understanding.

Best regards,

Dear Customer,

yes of course you can
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hallo, I struggled to lay hands on the contract. This is what am told when i try to upload it. I dont know what to do. Should I just type the whole contract? or how can I send the scanned document to you?

You don't have permission to access "http://www.justanswer.co.uk/german-law/7u50d-signed-contract-fitness-studio-2011-when.html" on this server.

Reference #18.1c923554.1372341561.535fa8a3

Please scan it and mail it to

ClaudiaMarieSchiessl(at)googlemail(dot)com
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Lawyer,

I sent the scanned copies of the contract and the letter I received from the fitness studio to your email yesterday. Did you get it?

Waiting to hear from you.

Best regards,

Mercy B

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Attorney,

Waiting to hear from you.

Best regards,

Mercy B

Dear Customer,

the problem is that you got a discount on your monthly fees because the contract was for so and so many months

Any shorter time would have lead to higher monthly fees

The problem is that it does not say anything in the contract about termination anytime.

You`ll have difficulties proving it, because the contract that bears your signature is different

So I am afraid there is no way out

I am very sorry to be the bearer of a message like this

All the same I would very much like getting a positive feedback

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So should I get an Attorney or what is your advice. The problem is, I want to terminate it right away, I wanted to do so since April but was refused. How can I then terminate it? I am presently pregnant and cannot continue with any form of physical exercise. What is your advice for me?

Waiting to hear from you.

Der Customer,

Just get your doctor to write you a letter stating that you are pregnant and that you are not allowed to exercise

Them you terminate your contract using the letter as a reason
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Attorney,

Thank you. I also will like to know what you meant by ''the contract that bears my signature is different''. The one with my signature is the contract I signed for and the other is the letter I received from the fitness studio saying I have to pay that amount of money. Does it make any difference?

Desr Customer.

It is your contract that countd and it does not say anything about terminating the contract anytime
Dear Customer

should you not have any further questions I would very much appreciate gwtting a positive feedback

This is how I get paid

thank you