Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

My husbands aunt lived in Bonn and has recently died. My husband

My husband's aunt lived in Bonn and has recently died. My husband is her next of kin. She had no children. Her friend has sent us an original death certificate and said that there is money in her bank account. We do not think that she left a will. Her friend told us to contact the Amtsgericht Bonn/ nachlassgericht. We do not speak any German and wonder what we need to do.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 3 years ago.
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your question.

You need to write to the probate court n order to be officially recognized as the heir.

They may not know your address.

The bank might demand a certificate of inheritance which you will get from the probate court as well.

I hope I was able to help

Have you got any further questions ?

I am happy to answer any questions you may have
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do we write to ? Have you an address ? Do they speak English ? What documents does he need to send ?
Dear Customer,

most people in Germany speak at least some English, so there should not be any problem.

Just write to the probate court , tell them your address and how exactly you are related.

It may be wise to add a copy of the passport and the birth certificate.

The probate court is obliged to find out the heirs, so if they need something they will get into contact with you.

Amtsgericht Bonn
Nachlassgericht

Wilhelmstrasse 21

53111 Bonn

I hope I was able to help

If I have helped I would appreciate a positive rating

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do we need to find out which bank she banked with or will the probate office have details of this ? Also her friend mentioned insurance companies. Will the probate office have details of these ?
Dear Customer,

when your husband is officially recognized as the heir yu are entitled to get information from whoever has possesion of the aunt`s assets.

The probate court does not necessarily have all those informations

If I have helped a positive rating would be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long does all this usually take ?
Dear Customer,

this varies from court to court as the courts have different workloads, different amounts of staff, people are onn sick leave or on holiday and so on.

So it cannot be said