Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

I am 72 years old and holder of a german passport. My birth

I am 72 years old and holder of a german passport. My birth certificate gives 2 forenames, the second from the left being underlined to signify my Rufname. The first passport I had from 1962-1967 had me in the way of the birth certificate: Rufname underlined. All following passports from 1967 to 2001 indicated me with the Rufname in first position followed by the other forename, surname in all cases unchanged (in spite of getting married in England). Since 2001 my passports indicate me as written in the birth certificate with the Rufname in second position, but without being underlined. I am having difficulties in all ways of life with that, because Rentenversicherungen, bankaccounts in different countries, ISA investments, testaments, marriage certificate, are all based on passports with my Rufname in first position. The Embassy in London tells me that the new german passport law does not allow for any other order of the forenames than the one on the birth certificate. Do I really have to ask for an öffentlich-rechtlichen Namensänderung, or is there another way to sort that problem out? I would be grateful for any advice. Karin

Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your question.

You are free to choose the Rufname between your two names.

I for example couod choose Clauda but I could also opt for Marie.

Only the order in which they are on your birth certificate is fixed.

So there should be no need for a Namensänderung which is very difficult anyway
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem I have now is that UK banks ask to see your passport to confirm identity. When I arrived in the UK my two forenames were one way round on my passport. This is when I opened my bank accounts and pension investments. I now want to open another account into which I would like to transfer some of these special funds which the tax authorities recognise as mine, that is, under the name as it appeared on my passport when I arrived in the UK. However, as my current passport has my forenames the other way round, this is the only way the banks are prepared to open a new account. This would then mean that the funds which the tax authorities recognise as mine would be transferred to someone with a different name, and they wouldn't be prepared to do this. I am also worried that there may be a problem withdrawing money from existing accounts if I have to show my passport as proof of identity before being allowed to do so. I have already been treated with suspicion in the bank by revealing these inconsistencies.

Is your passport from the year 2010, October or September ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, my current passport is more recent.

Dear Customer,

I did some research.

I landed on the website of the ministery of internal affairs ( Innenmi nisterium )

It says as follows:

Vornamen in your passport are in the order as in your birth certificate without exceptions.

This also goes for the so-called MRZ ( zone legible by machine) on the back of the new passport.

If there is not enough space family name comes first, then the surnames in the order shown on the birth certificate, from left to right.

Until Oct. 2010 there only was one surname in the MRZ.

This was the Rufname, if no Rufname was chosen it was the first name on the birth certificate.

All surnames are XXXXX XXXXX can be used ad liberty.

The machine legible zone is not for private or business use , and not for identification towards banks and so on.

It is for uses of identification like police, border control, and so on only.

So this ought to be told to the banks.

So there is no reason to change your surname.

I hope I was able to help.

If so I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating

Dear Cuatomer,

have you got any further questions ?

Please be my guest

If I have helped I get credit when you give me a positive rating

thanks
Dear Customer,

please tell me why you do not rate me positively

Have you got any more questions

please be my guest
Dear Customer,

may I politely ask

Do you have any further questions?

I am sorry but a change of names will not be possible.

The banks just do not know about the law in Germany, no reason for changing names

If I have helped I get credit for my work only when and if you rate me positively

thank you so much
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get my last lengthy comment in german. It seems to have disappeared after I sent it some time ago. I understand your impatience.It explained that from 1967 to 2001 I have been carrying german passports with the forenames not in the order of the birth certificate but the other way round. This means that all my important documents show my name differently from my current passport.

Thank you for trying to help. I will rate you now. Sleep well!

I am ever so sorry I did not get anything

Sometimes there are technical problems

So would you be so kind as to post it again

I did not receive a rating as well
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience: I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.