Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

My german divorced husband has just died. We have a daughter,now

My german divorced husband has just died. We have a daughter,now 30 and we have been back in uk since 1990. He left us, never paid maintenance and has never bothered to take an interest in her. Now, we are being asked for my date of birth and where we married. I am concerned that a) we may be asked to pay for funeral costs (he also has 2 sons by a previous marriage and as far as I know never remarried). Also, as he was also good at accruing debt, even being a con man, we are now concerned that I or my daughter may be asked to pay off what he owes. Can you advise us please?
Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your question.

My name isXXXXX and I am happy to assist you today.

As you are divorced you are not his heiress nor are you responsible for his debts or his funeral.

Your daughter however is a possible heiress an das such responsible for the debts and the funeral costs.

She has however the possibility to reject the heritage.

This is done within a deadline of six months ( if your daughter was in the UK at the time of his death)

I ' ll advise conatcting the German embassy in the UK ausklingt where it turn.

Some German states however have byelaws according to which the children of the deceased are responsible for funeral costs.

I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as he never paid maintenance, therefore technically owes her thousand of euros, does this count against any possible requests for funeral payments?
Dear Customer,

As the Bye-laws vary from state to state it is not even sure whether she is responsible for the funeral costs.

If however she is , things like neglecting child maintenance do not count
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience: I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.