Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

Pulled over in Germany, marijuana in pocket.

Customer Question

Last year my son was pulled over while working in Germany and was searched. He was found to have a small quantity of marijuana, and taken to the police station. There were language difficulties, and he had no money on him, but he thought the officer who was very friendly let him off. However several months later a letter arrived at his home address with notification of a fine of 180 Euro, however it was in German and I do not read German. My son by that time was abroad working in SE Asia. I did nothing, but then two months later another letter arrived and it quoted 748.00 Euros. He has not paid this. He returns to Germany to work in 2 weeks and I am concerned he could be arrested. Can you help explain how the law works? Added on: It was not possible to understand the letters as they were in German. He has no idea if he has been convicted of an offence and what the implications are. Thank you.

Category: German Law