Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

Invalid invoices handed over to debt collectors in Germany

Customer Question

My UK based business signed up online for an advertising service provided by a German company. It was an online advertising platform trial which we used for 1 month and then stopped using. We cancelled our service but they started invoicing us in subsequent months for service delivery. We emailed them asking them what the invoices were for and notifyied them that we had cancelled the service. They claimed we never cancelled and said we had to pay for the service. We confirmed with them again over email that we wanted the service terminated. We felt this was wrong but we paid for the first two invoices we received. (Incidentally they would only provide invoices in German, and refused to provide us an invoice in English when we asked for one). Shortly after this we started receiving more invoices for later months. We refused to pay and now they have handed us over to debt collectors in Germany who are threatening us with court proceedings. A few notes: The amount is 200EUR We accepted their online terms when we signed up for the trial. (it was probably a checkbox) We never signed any contracts. We have all the email history of us asking repeatedly for them to cancel the service. Can they take us to court? In Germany..? Thanks Dave

Category: German Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** refund and close..