Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

My sister-in-law who is filipino and married to german will

My sister-in-law who is filipino and married to german will be issued with her german passport in december, her husband has told her she will be on a probationery period on receipt of her passport. we were hoping to see her at xmas but her husband says she will be unable to travel. Is there a period she will have to remain in germany even after being issued with her new passport ?
Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your question.

My name is***** and I am happy to assist you today.

What kind of passport does she get ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Residence passport.

She should be able to get a " Reiseausweis" which would enable her to travel within the EU

So I would recommend to go to her local Ausländerbehörde ( Immigration Offiice ) and make enquiries about that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So does that mean when she has her passport in December there is no probationery period she has to wait before she can use the passport ?

Dear Customer,

no there is not, but I would recommend making sure and enquire with the local authorities about a passport specially for a Christmas

Such a passport is only valid for a restricted amount of time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for info, much appreciated. Smile