Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

I'd like to ask question to our earlier conversation. My

I'd like to ask a follow up question to our earlier conversation. My son is 18, is living in Germany with his mother, and has left school this year, and is looking for work (in other words, he is not going on to higher education). His mother and I are divorced, and I like in the UK.My understanding is that I am no longer responsible for my son financially. My ex-wife believes that even though he is not going on to further education there is a "grace" period of three months after leaving school during which his parents continue to support him.Could you please clarify the situation for me? Many thanks.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

thank you so much for your question.

There is indeed a grace period but only when and if the child will go onto further education and cannot decide which education to chose.

There is no grace period if he is looking for a job and going onto further eduvcation is out of the question

I hope I was able to help.

If so a positive rating would be greatly appreciated thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.At the moment my son has no definite plans to go into further education, plans to take a year "off" and is looking for work, so if I understand correctly he is not entitled to maintenance.He would be if he was planning to go into education in October, even if he didn't know what sort of education he would undertake.Many thanks.

Dear Customer,

once he resumes his education he is entitled to maintenance.

But taking a year off without any connection to educational plans is not enough to make him entitled to maintenance.

I hope I was able to help

If so a 3-5 star rating gives me credit

thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help. My ex-wife has sent me this extract to support her claim that there is a grace period regardless of whether my son goes on to further education:Der Kindesunterhalt muss dann nach Abschluss der Schulausbildung in einer Orientierungs- und gegebenenfalls Bewerbungsfrist von bis zu 3 Monate lang weiter gezahlt werden, vgl. OLG Hamm OLG Hamm, Entscheidung vom 09.08.1989 Aktenzeichen 10 WF 29/89, abgedruckt in FamRZ 1990, S. 904.
Danach muss Ihr Kind aber grundsätzlich selbst für den eigenen Unterhalt sorgen ausser ein Studium oder eine Ausbildung findet statt.If you could confirm that this is consistent with what you've said above (my German is rather weak) that would be very helpful.Thank you.
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

This court order is cited wrong.

It is about the time spent for obtaining a doctorate

It goes like that

) Eine angemessene Berufsausbildung i.S.d. § 1610 Abs. 2 BGB ist bei einer Promotion nur bei dem Vorliegen besonderer Umstände anzunehmen. Es ist demjenigen, der Unterhalt begehrt, zumutbar, während der Dauer der Promotion eine Teilzeittätigkeit zur Bestreitung seines Lebensunterhaltes auszuüben.

It says that while obtaining a doctorate working part time is approbriate

If I have helped a positive rating would be very nice

as you can see this Urteil is quite old and if your son does not live in the region of Hamm it is not legally binding

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Is there somewhere online that I can view the current German legislation that covers my situation?

No, alas not

Here is a section of a court order of the Oberlandesgericht Jena that illustrates pretty much what I have told you

Maßgebend ist letztlich, ob und inwieweit die Eltern mehrere Jahre nach Schulabschluss und nach dem bisherigen Werdegang des Kindes noch mit der Aufnahme einer Berufsausbildung rechnen müssen. Dies ist nicht schon immer dann der Fall, wenn das Kind bislang keine Ausbildung hat. Begnügt es sich über einen längeren Zeitraum hinweg mit ungelernten Tätigkeiten und richtet sich mit dem erzielten Einkommen sein Leben ein, ohne dass ein Hindernis für eine Ausbildungsaufnahme ersichtlich oder ein Indiz für den Fortbestand eines Ausbildungswillens vorhanden ist, fehlt es am erforderlichen zeitlichen Zusammenhang zwischen Schulabschluss und Ausbildungsaufnahme.

The grace period is only for going onto further education not for working straightaway

Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience: I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks for your help