Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

I hold a UK passport. My mother was from Berlin, my father

I hold a UK passport. My mother was from Berlin, my father (Scottish) was in Berlin at the end of the war. When they married my mother had to give up her German passport. As the daughter of this marriage, and born in Germany (BAOR) can I now apply for a German passport and keep the UK passport?
Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer, Thank you so much for your question. According to German Law if you were born before 1975 your father must have had German citizenship at the time of your birth.

So alas no, because at that your mother was an English national.

If you were born after 1975 either your father or your mother must have been German citizens at the time of your birth.

I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. But it didn't make the following clear to me:- If my mother still had German nationality at the time of my birth (and I don't know the answer to this) would that make a difference? In other words would it be possible to get a German passport? I was born on 29/6/1949 near Hannover.When you have answered this question I will be very happy to rate you at above 3 stars.Many thanks,Esme Mitchell