Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
44859865

I need a solicitor specialising in German inheritance law

Category: German Law
Expert:  Claudia Schiessl replied 5 months ago.

Dear Customer,

thank you for using JA

How can I help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I live in UK and had a German father (died 2010), his sister in Berlin died this March and her will left everything to my Father and another sister (also since died). The will is dated 2003. I wrote to Amstgericht Schöneberg and told them my father was dead and gave them my details and those of my brother and sister. I have now received a Kostenrechnung from them for €100 for Eröffnung einer Verfügung v. Todes. Says I have 4 weeks to pay! What does this all mean please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll continue this online conversation
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?

Dear Customer,

it is a bit complicated to phone to the UK

The Kostenrechnung are the court fees one has to pay for them to open yout father`s will.

These are legal fees.

Every act the court does costs something, which is acoording to the law.

The opening of a will is an official legal act

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no problem. So why have only I received this invoice and not my brother and sister?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's. It my Fsthers will it's his sister

Dear Customer,

it does not matter, whose will it is.

The 100 Euro is owed by all of you together, but the probate court can chose from whom to demand the money

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I meant it is not my Fathers will it is his sisters

Yes , I have understood that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is it safe to send the €100? I was worried it maybe a scam? I don't think she left much money €12k. Would you advise I get a lawyer? Do you think I will get further bills from the courts?

Dear Customer,

if the recipient is the Landesjustizkasse andf the fees are according to the GNOTKG ( Gerichst und Notarkostengeetz ) it is safe.

Legal fees are according to what the assets are worth

No further bills are to be expected and no need to get a lawyer

If I have helped a positive rating is very much appreciated

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fabulous thanks. So is it safe to pay by credit card? The invoice says Kosteneinziehungsstelle der Justiz

Dear Customer,

yes it is safe

If I have helped a positive rating would be very welcome

Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Experience: I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.