Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

My Garmin 500 series GPS, Its very hard to see, not sure if

Customer Question

My Garmin 500 series GPS, Its very hard to see, not sure if backlight is not working. Can you help me please. David
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Freddy,

It is only 2 to 3years old, I have only used it about 8 times

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
.
If you bring it somewhere dark can you see the scree?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried shielding the screen from the sun & put it in dark. its as though there is no back light?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
.
That is what I was having you check. If in the dark you can not see the screen at all it means the back light has failed. On this model it is part of the screen itself so you would need to replace the entire screen. If you bought an extended warranty and it is under 3 years old it would be covered.

Otherwise I would call around for a price as this can be expensive. Due to the price some people decide to replace the device rather than fix it. If you decide to do that I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, can you help me find a replacement please

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
.
Sure, what is your price range and what will it be used for the majority of the time?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

About £300, & I use it for inshore in UK & for fishing. I think I will get a price on a repair

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
.
Ok let me know what you decide.
.