Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Re: Nuvi 300 Ser No. 13P054389 Good Morning My name

Customer Question

Re: Nuvi 300
Ser No. 13P054389
Good Morning
My name is***** I updated the maps on my old Garmin Nuvi 300 with
the latest maps for Europe. There were many countries missing i.e.The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and the whole of the new nations of old-Yugoslavian.
Is it possible that these either didn't come with the package or is more likely that I didn't have enough room on my Nuvi 300. I must say that the internal disk looks pretty much full.
Questions:
1. If I purchased an external SD card, is there something that I can do to obtain these
other countries?
2. If so what TYPE and CAPACITY of SD card is recommended for the Nuvi 300?
3. How can I get maps for these other countries without having to purchase them again?
I thank you very much, in advance,for any assistance you can give me.
George Pare
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello George & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

As you may know, your device is relatively old as nav units go, and there are some limitations. When you downloaded and installed the maps on the device, you MAY have seen some messages about having limited space for the maps. This is because of the smaller amount of memory inside the device.

So you can purchase and install an SD card to expand the memory of your device (for holding the maps). You should be able to install a MAXIMUM capacity of 8GB for this particular unit, BUT I recommend that you get a 2GB SD card if you can (see why below). See Garmin SD specifications HERE.

Now if you check that link, you will also notice that there are "notes", and note "1" refers to some devices that are NOT able to read a file that is larger than 2GB in size, and the Nuvi 300 is one of those units (see details HERE).

Now since the current maps for Europe are well over 2GB (over 3GB now), you will have to be "selective" in which maps you load at any single time. If you are using Garmin Express to load the maps onto the device, there should be a screen that appears that allows you to install different "regions" to store on the device, IF you have a 2GB SD card installed.

As you might be able to tell, if you travel throughout Europe on a regular basis, this means that you will have to "manage" your maps, and load the appropriate maps for each trip. I understand that this can be an extra step before each trip, but it can be done.

Because of this limitation, I would recommend that you really consider getting a NEWER device, that has plenty of internal memory, and that comes with full Europe maps AND "Lifetime Map" updates (look for the "LM" at the end of the model number).
I have a link to the Garmin page that shows most of the modern units, and if you check that the "Full Europe maps" and "Lifetime map updates" filters are on (see left side of screen), then that will give you a good list of what models to look for.

Click here --> Current Nuvi units

Once you find a unit you think will work for you, then I recommend searching online (such as Amazon) to see what the "street prices" are for these devices.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Best Regards, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Greg

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best regards

George

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again George,

You are quite welcome.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

And please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)