Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a nuvi 40lm model

I have a nuvi 40lm model have tried to get free life map update and now all I get
is map data is not available can you tell me where I have gone wrong.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Are you sure there are no maps at all on it? These units have limited storage space which could cause the error you mentioned even if it only has the original maps.
You can add storage space to it if that is what happened.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to know what this is going to cost me .

I am a 80 year old and worry if your going to take even more cash.

I have just had a problem with a firm that took more money than

quoted. I had to get on to Barclaycard to get my money back.

I see you have claimed yours already. £27 seems a lot.

your not going to charge this once a month are you

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I have sent this to CS.
.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

I don't know if you heard back from the customer support folks here, but I must tell you that the experts here (like myself) do NOT have access to any of your private information, including any "deposit" that may have been made here.

BUT I do NOT see that "even more cash" will be charged and that this looks like a "one-time" question. So you should NOT be charged any more than the one-time deposit you have made.
===========================
If we are now clear on how this system works, let me give you the details about what I believe is happening with your GPS and the "map data not available" message you are seeing on the device.

I believe the other expert was going in the right direction, when he mentioned adding storage to your device. Let me explain.

These particular units (the Nuvi 30/40/50 series) are part of the "lower cost" units, and one of the reasons for the lower cost is that the INTERNAL MEMORY of these devices - that is used to hold the map files - is a bit "limited".

So when you attempted the update of your maps and saw that "full" message, that was telling you of the memory INSIDE the device being full.

The EASIEST and lowest cost solution for this issue is to purchase and install a 4GB or 8GB microSD card in the device (there is a tiny slot on in the device), and then run the map update program again.

I am assuming you are using the Garmin Express program, and if so, that program SHOULD detect the addition of the microSD card and be able to put ALL of the maps that come with update onto that card.
NOTE: I noticed that you have an "LM" model, which means you are supposed to have "Lifetime Map" updates - for the area you originally had on the device.

So what I recommend is that you find and purchase a 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity microSD card, and then run the Garmin Express program again - to install ALL the maps you are entitled to.

As a reference only, I have a link to Amazon, where you can see what to look for and the approximate cost of a microSD card. >>Click here<<. You should be able to find these microSD cards LOCALLY - at any good electronics, computer, or camera shop (they are very common).

Also, if you need a reference for getting Garmin Express, here is a link >>Click here<<.

I hope this helps explain what I believe is happening. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Best Regards, ***** *****

(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
I see you've left a negative rating for me. Rating me poorly does not fix the problem, or affect your payment. It isn't communicated with the maker of your product, or this site.

A negative rating only serves to harm my professional reputation, and is effectively blaming me for the problem. This is extremely unfair to me, when I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services.

I would greatly appreciate if you'd be kind enough to at least give me the courtesy of a reply so that we may communicate further, and give me a reasonable chance to resolve this issue for you through further troubleshooting steps. You may continue to follow up with me here at no added charge.

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry but I came to you to sort out my problem which has not been done .their must be a way to do it without buying other parts.

your the expert

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

As I mentioned in my original answer, these particular devices - which are "lower cost" by design - have VERY LIMITED MEMORY INTERNALLY. And even though you have lifetime updates, whenever Garmin updates their maps, they will usually ADD MORE information, which causes the map files to GROWN in size.

And I mentioned that buying and installing a 4GB or 8GB microSD card - which is relatively inexpensive (see the Amazon listings I linked you to) is the EASIEST way to get around the internal memory limits. Again, this series of devices was DESIGNED to be LOW COST, BUT a low cost memory card such as the ones I mentioned would eliminate the memory limit issue.

Now there is a way to install the maps that you NEED - for each trip that you plan - and make it fit within the internal memory. That is to CHANGE or "reload" what are called "Regions" of the maps, which will limit the maps that are installed.

When you run Garmin Express to perform the map updates, and when you see that warning about the memory being full, the program SHOULD offer an option to install a SMALLER portion of the maps available to you. Those are the "regions" I'm referring to.

But please understand that if your next trip takes you outside of the regions you have installed on the device, you will need to REMEMBER and CHECK that you have the correct regions installed for EACH NEW AREA you plan to travel though and want to use your device.

As a reference, and if you haven't looked at already, I have a link to the "Garmin Express" video - that mentions how you can install the "regions" instead of purchasing an SD card. That part of the video starts at about the 1 minute mark in the video.

Click here --> Express Video

For me personally, having ALL the maps installed on an SD card that I don't have to think about before each trip is more valuable then going through the checking and updating process each time. But if you have the time to verify your map coverage before each trip to a different region, then the method I just mentioned should get this sorted for you - without having to purchase an SD card.

I hope this helps explain what can be done to sort this out for you. Please let me know if you have any more questions. And please remember to rate my service of assisting you at a higher level (Excellent is my goal).

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will fitting a SD card work . do I have to take the back off the unit.

if I switch the where to on then press it then press address I get

DATA is not available so doing what you say will get it to work.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

RE: will fitting a SD card work . a microSD card should work, up to 8GB in capacity.

RE: do I have to take the back off the unit. No, there is a tiny slot in the unit to install the card. on the side/back.

RE: if I switch the where to on then press it then press address I get DATA is not available so doing what you say will get it to work. Maps (the DATA) for the area you are looking for NEED to be installed successfully AND the maps are enabled.

I have a link to another video that shows how a microSD card is installed on a similar unit, and how you can TEST that the maps are successfully installed and enabled. This video is for a preprogrammed microSD card, but the concepts are the same.

Click here --> Video.

Please me know if that works for you.

Regards, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the problem is still not solved I am sorry to say so I think we

should give up. but thanks for trying. JOHN

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again John,

If you WANT to give up, you can do that if you like. OR you can let me know what happened when you TRIED the things I mentioned, and perhaps get this unit working for you.

If you want to give up but are satisfied with my service (advice & troubleshooting guidance), please take a moment to rate my service at a high level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for trying to help you with this issue. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years