Richard, Technician
Experience:  GPS Specialist
32989067

When I switch my tom tom on I get a spinning cogwheel which

Customer Question

When I switch my tom tom on I get a spinning cogwheel which chages to an image of the tomtom with a red cross and an unconnected lead pointing towards a computer
But when I connect the device to the computer keeps asking me to connect the device
My computer says it is connected
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the TomTom and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the TomTom.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure what you mean by the charger.If you are referring to the USB lead which connects to the computer I have carrid out your instruction .no effect

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats it Michael.
Which model Tom Tom is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure of the name of the model but the model number is *****

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, that does not match
Can you give me the serial number Michael and I can look it up
I need to see if your model has a detachable cable or not
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have found another number which is4EN400101

It does have a detachable cable

other information I have found on invoice may hel;p

Article 1EN4.013.00

Description Start20UK&Ireland

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Michael
The issue with either be the data port or the cable itself.
Its not software related.
I advise you to start with purchasing a replacement cable. They are cheap and you can get it here
Click me to open
Then use this cable and if you still have the problem you know its the data port on the unit itself that is the issue. This would then require the device to be replaced as it is a hardware fault.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont think it can be the cable as I have another TOMTOM and that connects

Inany case I have tried other cables and it doesn't make any difference

I am still confused by the fact that my computer /devices says that it is connected and tell me the device is OK

but in practice the device is not connecting

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you have ruled out the cable as the fault Michael, its the mainboard on the TOM Tom that has failed.
Your computer only looks at the memory card, it requires nothing more then an electrical signal. But the mainboard is not functioning and from the symptoms you have described, the unit is not able to communicate with the memory and why it asks to connect to the computer.