Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  8+ years repairing various Garmin, TomTom and other GPS models.
61965098

My Tom Go Live 75 (about 7 yrs old)won't start properly and

My Tom Go Live 75 (about 7 yrs old)won't start properly and can't be turned off at all. When turned on, it shows the opening tomtom screen, after a while moves to a yellow and blue screen showing (I think) a satnav device, then back to the tomtom screen and so on ad infinitum. Any advice would be very gratefully received.
IAIN
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist. Sorry to hear you are having issues with your device.
Do you have tomtom home installed I your computer? When was the last time you updated the device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HelloSijad

Many thanks for your reply. I have just installed tomtom home on my new computer and am now fully up to date - but the same problem persists.

IAIN

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it is possible the old application may have been corrupted so some the files stayed the same during the update. Lets try a fresh installation of the application.
Restore the software on your navigation device using TomTom HOME
Switch off your navigation device.
Connect your navigation device to your computer.
Tip: Use the USB port at the back of your computer, if available. Do not use a USB hub or a USB port on the keyboard.
Switch on your navigation device and, if your device asks if you want to connect to your computer, tap YES.
Start TomTom HOME then click Manage my device.
Manage my device
Select the Items on device tab.
Click the plus sign for Applications, tick the TomTom Application, click Remove items from device and click OK to confirm.
Click Done.
Click Manage my device.
Select the Remove items from computer tab.
Click the plus sign for Applications, select the TomTom Application, if available, click Remove items from computer and click OK to confirm.
Click Done.
Click Update my device.
Update my device
Click Update and install then, when the application update process has finished, click Done.
The navigation device will restart automatically. When your device asks if you want to connect to your computer, tap No and disconnect the navigation device from your computer.
Note: If your navigation device does not restart automatically, click on the eject button in the bottom right of TomTom HOME and then disconnect your navigation device from your computer.
Reset your navigation device. [ show me how... ]
Connect your navigation device to your computer and, if your device asks if you want to connect to your computer, tap YES.
Click Update my device in TomTom HOME to see if another (newer) TomTom Application is offered.
Update my device
Important: TomTom HOME may offer more than one application update. Repeat steps 13 to 17 until no more application updates are offered and the Update and install button is greyed out.
Also its a good idea to check and make sure the memory on the tomtom unit is not corrupt. To do this, open Computer or My Computer, right click the tomtom drive, and click properties. Then select the tools tab and select Error Check Now. This will check the internal hard drive/memory of the device to make sure it hasnt failed.
Give these items a try and if they do not work, please let me know and we will continue troubleshooting.
Please understand as with a lot of software related issues sometimes the easy fixes dont always work and require in depth troubleshooting and I will do by best to help you with all the troubleshooting required.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sijad
Not getting anywhere, I'm afraid. I've tried to do as you suggest but my device won't show anything except the opening Tomtom screen and a blue and yellow go live screen - and there's always a little disc and pencil icon at the bottom (or that's what it looks like anyway). It just alternates between these two screens or switches itself off completely, so there's no opportunity to do anything else - eg tap it to say yes- connect to computer. I don't know if I'm missing the point somewhere but I' completely stumped at present.
Iain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
An error always occurs when backing up the device to my computer and aborts the whole,process. The man from Knowhow turned off any power saving devices and enabled Tomtom to bypass my mac fee firewall, so I don't think either of those is the problem.
Iain
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
When you connect the device and turn it on, does your computer recognize it? Were you able to error check the devices internal memory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The computer recognises the device but I haven't yet checked the internal memory as you suggest.
Iain
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
OK Great. Check the internal memory to make sure it is good. To do this, open Computer or My Computer, right click the tomtom drive, and click properties. Then select the tools tab and select Error Check Now. This will check the internal hard drive/memory of the device to make sure it hasnt failed.

If it finds errors it may try to fix it on its own.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brilliant! The memory repair seems to have solved the problem and the device is now working again. Thanks so much for your help
Iain
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Awesome I am glad we were able to help fix this issue. Thank you for being patient through the troubleshooting process. Please take a moment to rate my service for helping you. Have a wonderful day!