Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Can you help me with some GPS accuracy

Customer Question

hi can you help me with some GPS accuracy
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What kind of GPS is this?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was in facebook messenger

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Can you explain that a little more? Also what kind of device were each of you on? Is there any chance of a proxy being used?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure what a proxy is?

I was on an iphone 6, he is on an iphone 5. He was at the NEC in Birmingham but his GPS says he was 25 miles north in overseal. He says the metal clad building of the NEC screwed with the GPS and that he was there all day. I cant accept that. The GPS did say he was at the NEC later in the day but then around 5 pm when he walked out of the NEC it said he was back up north again. How accurate is GPS and is it true that a metal clad building could make up a different location

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Why can you not accept that? Certain types of metal do indeed interfere with satellite signals which is how GPS works.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But can a GPS signal create something random or will it tend to ping back to where you were.

Would you accept someones GPS saying they were 25 miles away whilst they said they were in a building and the metal was interfering?

I need to know how accurate it is

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I need to start with your second question as I just told you certain types of metal do indeed interfere with satellite signals which is how GPS works. So yes that can cause what you saw. So your accuracy question can not be answered properly because it only applies when you are outside with a clear view of the sky.

But to answer it if you are outside with a clear view of the sky meaning no clouds etc it is accurate up to 15 meters. Clouds will double that usually and being inside of a building with metal building materials will act as a jammer and make it way off. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your GPS.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it likely that GPS would choose a random place or would it tend to revert to the last place it was?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It would jump around randomly when being jammed so it could choose a random place. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your GPS.
.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
..
..