Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  8+ years repairing various Garmin, TomTom and other GPS models.
61965098

I have a garmin 650t I want to use it with opencaching

Hi I have a garmin 650t I want to use it with opencaching to download some geo caches. When it plugged in the gps is being recognised but everytime its sayin I need a communicator update even though elsewhere its saying its up to date. can you please help
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Do you have multiple web browsers installed on your computer?

Are you using a windows or mac based computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sijad. No not that I'm aware of I'm running windows 8 with ie. The gps shows the mass storage or usb symbol and it seems to recognise the device
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Sijad I responded to email on my phone. Should I respond on here primarily.

The answer by the way is I don't think so im running windows 8 with ie

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
The plugin you keep re-installing, where are you downloading it from?

Do you have firewall enabled or antivirus enabled?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, when I go to download on open ache.com/uk straight to my gps it comes up with a message saying to install but nothing seems to happen. I've also done garmin communicator plugin search and tried it direct but it tells me it's already installed. I do have a firewall but that's on medium so should be ok
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Try disabling your firewall completely and then try and download from open cache again. Even though it's on medium it can interfere with the website.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sijad tried that and it hasn't worked I've also tried windows media player. I installed the plugin from the gpc site and when I did it recognised my device but as soon as I go into open ache and try to download I get the same message
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.

is that the message you are seeing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I'm afraid it's not. It's when I go into opencaching find some and try to download to the gps and it comes with a window saying to install the plugin
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Did you check internet explorer to see if the plugin is enabled?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure how to do that
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
On pages that use the CPI, Internet Explorer may prompt for permission to use the plugin. Depending on the version of Internet Explorer, this prompt may appear at the top or bottom of the screen. It will say, "This website wants to run the following add-on". To allow the plugin to run, choose "Allow for all websites" or "Run add-on on all websites".
Verify that the Garmin Communicator Plugin and XML DOM Document are enabled:
Press ALT+T on the keyboard
Click Manage Add-ons
Under Show, select All Add-ons
Select Garmin Communicator Plugin
If it is disabled, click Enable
Select XML DOM Document
If it is disabled, click Enable
Ensure the browser is set to default security settings for the Internet zone:
Press ALT+T on the keyboard
Click Internet Options
Click Security tab
Select Internet
If the security setting for this zone is anything other than the default (Medium-high) return them to default:
Click Default level
Click Apply
Click OK
After doing this close internet explorer and open it again. Then try to download to your Garmin again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LHi Sijad, sorry tried all that and no luck bit was listed under the add ons but I tried what you said and didn't work
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
What version of plugin do you have installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pretty sure it's 4.2.0
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, after doing some research it seems to be an issue with windows 8 IE11 and that plugin. If you are not opposed to it, we can try using a different browser. Firefox is a good browser to try this with. You can download it from firefox.com. Once you download it you may have to download the plug in again for that browser. Once you do that give it a try again at opencaching and see if it goes through.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. I'm about to go bed now but will try it tomorrow and get back to you if that's ok
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok Sounds good. Ill be on standby.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sijad, I had to install Firefox then go out to gpc plug in down load page. Load it separately and then after faffing it did the job. Thanks for your help. If you'd like to send your form for feedback I'll do it straight away
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.

Wonderful! I am glad we got it working. You should be able to leave feedback or accept my answer directly from this page as your reading it.

Thank you again for using Justanswer.com if there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know!

Sijad H., Technician
Experience: 8+ years repairing various Garmin, TomTom and other GPS models.