Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

Can I download a waypoint list directly from my laptop to my

Customer Question

Can I download a waypoint list directly from my laptop to my 557 chartplotter and if so what sort of cable do I need or can it only be done via a SD microcard?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The approved and standard way to do such data transfers from a computer to your Garmin GPSMap 557 device, is to put the SD card into the computer (after preferably formatting it on the Garmin device) and copy the data from the computer to the SD memory card, then put that memory card in the Garmin device, and get the data from that card.
To do so via a cable or an adapter would involve something other than the standard 'copy file' operation, and would require software that apparently doesn't exist.
Note that there are apps for the wireless capability that the 557 device does have... they are listed as
Garmin BlueChart Mobile
Garmin Helm
and it is stated officially by Garmin that these are the only apps approved for use with the WiFi capability of the 557 device.
Perhaps BlueChart Mobile might have a wireless-transfer-of-waypoints capability. Do check it out, if you have a device capable of running this app:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-water-maps/on-the-water-apps/bluechart-mobile/prod114005.html
Note that this app requires an iPhone, specifically, or an iPad. So it does not run on 'computers' as such, unless an iPad counts as one.