Engineer1010
Engineer1010, Engineer
Experience:  Electrical and Computer Engineer.
16465236

My Garmin Nuvi 2659, stopped working the second time of use,

Customer Question

my Garmin Nuvi 2659, stopped working the second time of use, and will not turn on again .. If I press the on switch it shows the Garmin logo for a few seconds, then switches off, I have tried re charging from the car, from a computer and from a in house charger, nothing works
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

May I ask the AGE of the device and WHEN this issue first began?

May I also ask for HOW LONG the device has been connected to a power source - to charge?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The units is a few months old, was used 2 days ago on a long journey with no problems , on using yesterday on a shorter journey after less than 20 minutes into the journey the unit went blank and switched off , it would not switch back on , the journey continued with the unit plugged in to the car charger, it was tried after a further 30 mins and no response , it was then plugged into a computer for 2 hours and still no response, then back at home was plugged into a charger and left overnight , least 12 hrs , still no response

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
OK - very good. If it was connected to a home charger overnight, it should have plenty of charge on the battery.

So if you could, please DISCONNECT the device from any power source, and push and HOLD the power switch - for 15-45 seconds.

Please let me know if the device powers up with this process.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks , I have just tried this, while holding the button , the Garmin name appeared, then disappeared a number of times , but did not power up

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - please try again, but this time if you see the name appear, RELEASE the power button and see if it will come on and stay on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as soon as the power button is pressed the name appears ,after a couple of seconds it disappears again wether the button is held or released, on pressing the button again it comes back on , but only for a couple of seconds then goes off again

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

OK - the next step is to try a "Master Reset". BUT, this will clear any saved favorites that you may have stored in the device. So if you have any such favorites that you don't want to erase, you should try to connect the device to the computere and back up your favorites first.

Here is a link to an article that has instructions for doing a Master Reset on many different devices. Once on that page, scroll down until you see

"nuvi 2509, 2609, 2709, 3400, 3500, 3700 series,"

and follow the instructions there.

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a1f85d30-a65f-11e4-4df3-000000000000}#25092609

Please let me know EXACTLY what happens when you try this Master Reset - including IF you see the question about clearing the user data.