Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I bought a Zumo 390 yesterday and am unable to use it

Customer Question

Hello, I bought a Zumo 390 yesterday and am unable to use it because some of the keys in the keyboard are constantly greyed out. A Google search found a Garmin page saying that system 4.0 eliminated this problem and users should upgrade. But when I tried to upgrade using Garmin Express I found I'm already using system 4.0. I've tried rebooting, using different languages, but nothing helps. I'd appreciate help asap.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. What keys are greyed out exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In British English all letters are greyed out except: c, f, n & p. In numerals only 0 is greyed out. All symbols [ !, ? etc] are all greyed out. Result is same in upper and lower case.

In Russian cyrillic only the letters ъ and ь are greyed out, but the same numbers and symbols are greyed out as in English.

The results appear to be the same for all keyboard layouts: QWERTY etc.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you for that information. Connect your device to Garmin express. Once its done checking for updates it should say it is up to date because you had already updated it. Click Tools to the lower left of the Garmin express screen. Then scroll down to optional updates. You should see two categories, language files and other files. First under language files, select the languages you use most often. Then under files, you should see nuvi keyboards, language text and other related updates. Check those as well. Once you have everything you need checked, scroll down to where it says "Install Now" and click the blue button labeled install now. Once the installation is complete, restart your device and give it a minute to incorporate the updates. After about 2-3 minutes go ahead and use your device and tell me if the letters are still grayed out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’ve done all that but but hasn’t helped. In Language files I selected English and Russian, but the Other Files doesn’t contain the Nuvi keyboards, language text or anything similar: it only has a list of vehicle avatars.

When I rebooted as instructed exactly the same keys were greyed out. I then went back to Garmin Express and it no longer lists English and Russian in the language files, so those must have installed properly. Still no sign of the other files though.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
HI again, OK lets try a hard reset. Note this will delete your favorites but you can back those up using Garmin express before proceeding. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from powerTouch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencilContinue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ONRelease the power button when the device powers ONYou will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displaysTouch YesThe device will restart. Then check your keyboards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I’ve now tried the hard reset several times. It didn’t work, but a pattern seemed to be emerging, so I took notes and the results are below.

Firstly, when I do the hard reset I never get the message at step 5. Instead the screen very briefly flashes white, then the Garmin logo reappears. When I then remove my finger from the screen there is no “Yes” message, but the device restarts. It clearly has done a hard reset though, because the settings have all returned to their defaults.

When restarting the device asks to choose a country location. I tried repeatedly in the UK & Russia. Here are the results:

Hard reset, Russia location.

Everything appears to work in cyrillic Russian.

But when I change to English and search in Address > Select Town in Россия:

Spell Town has same grey keys as before.

Search All has some [about 50%] letters & symbols greyed out, numerals are ok.

Change Country has all keys greyed out.

However when I simply use the Enter Search box all keys are working. When I search through Towns it also appears to be ok.

So in Russia location it works ok in Russian.

In Russian location but English language most keys work, except when searching via Address, which would be the most common search route.

Hard reset, UK location.

When I search in Address there is no town listed below “Select Town in”

When I select Spell Town all keys are ok. However whatever town I enter I always get “No marches found”.

Change Country has all keys greyed out.

So in UK location only some things work in English.

But in UK location when I try to use Russian most but not all keys are greyed out. However when I Change Country to Russia some keys are greyed out and some work.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried changing your keyboard to russian? That might be the issue your trying ot type in Russian locations and certain letters may not be used causing them to gray out. In tools, settings, language, you should be able to change that setting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be so slow in replying. I've tried changing the keyboard to cyrillic and latin, but I still have problems. The best I can get it to work is by setting to Russian. That seems to work for Russian locations, however when I try to change country most of the cyrillic keys are greyed out again.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I am out of idea to try, I will opt out to allow other experts to look in. YOu dont need to do anything on your part. When an expert is available that can help, he will reply here.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I'm happy to wait. Please note that I'll be travelling for the next 10 days and will have very limited, if any, internet access. So I'm unlikely to be able to reply until Wednesday August 26.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..Having read all through the above - all thats been done etc - it would appear that you have either corrupted software in the unit, that even a reboot / hard reset wont restore - or, its plain faulty in itself.With this issue - I would now suggest - because you have done all and everything you can - is to contact Garmin themselves - via their website and inform them of your issues. I anticipate they will have you go through the things above again - and they may even have something other that you can try... After that - it will be a case of having them exchange the unit for you - but they will usually want to try other things first - to satisfy themselves that the unit and / or software is at fault.Im sorry this may not be the answer you wanted to hear but all things considered and done as above, that is your next step on this one now to get this issue sorted for you - Im afraid its beyond resets and re configurations etc as above.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.