Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Sat nav problem.

Sat nav problem.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.
May I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) WHEN this issue first began?
4) What EXACTLY is the issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tomtom approx 1yr old. 4weeks ago. GPs signal won't kick in for approx 20 miles
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
May I ask for the FULL model number of your TomTom?
May I also ask if it has EVER been updated (the software) since it was new?
One more thing: Has this device been MOVED to a DIFFERENT vehicle (or different position) about the same time this started to happen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4en42z1230. Yes. No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We don't have a computer how do built in models update .???
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again & thanks for that.
So can you tell me WHEN the last time the device software was updated?
Also, if you were to power up the device and stay in a STATIONARY position, can you tell me HOW LONG it might take for the device to "lock in" on the satellite signals?
And I just saw your last post about updating "built-in" models ... so are you saying that this is a built-in model of device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2monthsago 15 minutes. No it's not built in that was just a query.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is very slow I have got to go out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to turn off very soon
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Sorry for any delays.
OK - the FIRST thing I would do is UPDATE the device software again, AND try clear out any OLD data - that may be filling the device memory.
I say this because often these devices "fill" the memory and SLOW DOWN ALL of the operations of the device.
So if you have any EXTRA maps or other files on the device, you may want to think about getting rid of those files, or at least some of them, before the next update.
I also say this because the device SHOULD remember its last location, and assuming you are STARTING the device in the last known location, locking on the satellites should be relatively fast.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not happy with reply on our last to toms updates were not needed so often do you call this progress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does one remove old data that you recommend?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Sorry you are not happy with my responses, but I will only give you honest and accurate information.
May I ask what tool (program) you used to attempt the update?
I only ask because often there is a way to "force" an update (or reload) of the device software - in case the current software is corrupted.
And as for removing old data, I usually recommend a unit reset or software reload. If you can find the first few characters of the SERIAL NUMBER of your device, I may be able to find the model number and reset procedure.
But I have one more question for you. May I ask HOW LONG the device will operate ONLY on the charged internal battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea my son did it. S/nay3294a91677. 4 en400108. Variable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for not being very informative it's my husbands sat nav and I 'm a novice on the I pad,!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for any delay.
OK - according to my notes, that should be a START 20 model of device - does that sound correct?
If so, I have a link to a video that shows how you can RESET your device, and TRY to make it behave properly again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gjlezrj08c
AFTER such a reset, it MAY take several minutes for the device to find the satellites, but after that FIRST lock, the next times should be fairly rapid - IF you are starting in the same location as where the device was turned OFF.
And I asked about the battery life BECAUSE a low or WEAK battery can effect performance of the device - including the satellite lock time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you suggesting I go to the you tube for a reset.? I am not very clear on what to do but if this is all you can help me with then thanks and what's the cost
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I'm suggesting that you go to YouTube to SEE the video on how to do the reset, and then do that same procedure on your device using the steps shown there.
NOTE: The video is only about 45 seconds long, as this is relatively easy to do.
But let me put the steps in writing for you below.
=====================
1) Before you start, CHARGE the device for AT LEAST 2 hours (so you have enough power to complete the reset).
1a) Remove the device from any charger.
2) RESET the device by pressing and HOLDING the power button - UNTIL you hear the "drum roll".
NOTE : This can take 30 seconds or more.
Once the device restarts, it should be RESET and be ready to use.
================================
This is when you should take the device OUTSIDE and allow it to find and lock on the satellites again, and that may be the time where it takes 15 minutes or more to "lock in". After that point, it SHOULD be faster, unless there are other issues with the system.
As for cost, I am paid for my time and advice by a portion of your original bid when you asked the question, and when you rate my service at a level of Good or above. We experts can not see what was bid, but you should have a record of that amount in your account screen.
Please let me know what you find with the reset or if you have any more questions.
Best Regards, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
One other note:
Since the device may only be one year old, any issues may be repairable under the standard 1 year warranty for these devices.
If needed, you can contact the TomTom Support folks to see about having the device repaired, and the following UK number (and hours).
02079 490 134
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Best, ***** *****
(im)