Richard, Technician
Experience:  GPS Specialist
32989067

I have a GPSMAP 64S. I originally put in 2 alkaline batteries

I have a GPSMAP 64S. I originally put in 2 alkaline batteries and went through the Setup>System>AA Battery Type>Alkaline routine. I have now put in a NiMH battery pack but when I go to Setup>System it does not give me the AA Battery Type option. Is there a danger of damaging the device if it thinks it has Alkaline batteries installed? If so, what should I do?
Thanks in advance
John
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
No not at all. It just goes easier on the batteries as Alkaline does not work well in high draining situations. As the NiMH does, it will allow it to go further.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I understand that. Any idea why the AA Battery Type option has disappeared?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Because it was set to Alkaline which is means the unit operates at a base for batteries. Alkaline is like the universal type of batteries so there are no special requirements, hence why you can use any type and it removes the option.