Richard, Technician
Experience:  GPS Specialist
32989067

My Garmin c510 stopped giving voice prompts during a journey

My Garmin c510 stopped giving voice prompts during a journey this week. Volume was on max at the time.
Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The owners manual just says c510 and I suppose it must be 5yrs+ old now
Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just this week and I have checked the software version which is 6.70 with 2.20 Audio and 3.00 GPS
Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Garmin and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the unit.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Richard,
I was not sure from your instructions whether the charger was supposed to be connected to live power at the time however,
I followed your procedure and reconnected the charger (with live power on) and the Garmin started up immediately with the usual opening screen. I then did the same again but reconnected the charger (with live power off) and this time had to start the Garmin with the button which then opened with the usual screen.
I am travelling to London this morning and will use the Garmin again to see whether the problem persists.
Regards ~ Brian
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thanks Brian

The initial way you did it was correct

I will mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Richard,
Well the Garmin worked correctly during my journey to London on Tuesday which is good!
I managed to place the unit slightly nearer to one of the car windows on this occasion so I cannot be certain whether it was that or the procedure you suggested which enabled the unit to function correctly........what do you think?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Perfect, though slighty next to the window was not the factor as they have a very strong reception.

It was the procedure that we did.

Great it is now resolved and If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

and as it is now solved if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.