DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

Volvo fm12, 380hp 8x4 steel tipper truck

Customer Question

Hello, I have just bought a2005 Volvo fm12 steel tipper truck, 380HP 8x4. I'm finding it hard to find any forums or reviews on this truck. Do you know of any?I'm exporting it to work for me abroad, but would like an impartial assessment of it's pros and cons. Are they truly reliable or do they have faults and problems. If you know of any pros and cons I would really like to know what they are so that I can be prepared. And is there a specific oil I should use in this truck to help extend the engine life? it has 258,000 miles on the clock. Many thanks.

What daily inspecions must be carried out? Does the diff oil need regular checking? Do they have any well known design faults? I've started a business in Zambia which I'm managing from the uk and I want to reuce any risks of this truck breaking down as the success of my business hinges on its reliability. They LOVE Volvo FM12 Tippers in Zambia.... I just don't know exactly why. Is it better, worse, or as good as other tippers of this year? Is the 12 speed gearbox strong? Should I service it more regularly than usual to ensure it stays in shape? I was thinking of changing the oil every month regardless of what it's done just to eliminate any risk of oil associated problems. Thanks!!Tom

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Tom,

Hello Tom,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Hello Tom,

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,