DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

Can a full body sling be knotted to alter height if all else

Customer Question

Can a full body sling be knotted to alter height if all else fails?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am not certain about the type of sling you are referring. I assume since you posted this question in Heavy Equipment it is a lifting sling? I can tell you no slings, cables or chains should ever be Knotted. This will reduce the lifting strength by more than half of it original strength. Once a load is applied the sharp turns will pull tight and you will never get it apart. Sharp angles are the most common cause of overloading for lifting equipment. Any angle below 45 degrees can increase load bearing weight two time higher than the actual weight of the load. This is because the sling is pulling in as well as up at the same time.
If this is not related to your question, let me know so I can OPT-OUT and let others see the question again.