catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

Can you confirm country of manufacture for a Cat 2005 TH220B

Customer Question

Can you confirm country of manufacture for a Cat 2005 TH220B telehandler, does the spec differ between made in the UK and made in the USA?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 5 months ago.

Please post the full machine serial number and I will see what I can find.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, will do so later today. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, CATTH220CSLA00876.
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 months ago.

SLA00876
Arrangement No:(###) ###-####br />Mfg Model: TH220B
Mktg Model Year: 2005
Prod Family: TH Th Telehandlers
Sims Prod Family: 30 Material Handlers - Telescopic
Source Facility: 34 Cat (U.K.) Ltd -Leicester
Principle Work: 255 Demolition
Build Date: 26Jul2005
Factory Ship Date: Not Applicable
Dealer/Invoiced Ship Date: 26Aug2005
Sales Date: 30Sep2005
Delivery Date: 30Sep2005

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has lost the accelerator. It was being looked at by a US technician, who eventually said it was a UK machine. Don't see why this should make any difference unless the model was changed, any ideas/ comments would be most appreciated.

I believe all CAT Telehandlers were built in the UK. (Not sure where JLG branded machines are built.) This machine was originally sold in South Carolina USA and the re-sold to Kelly tractor in Florida USA. No further records are visible to me so, I would assume that is when it went across the pond to you.

Being this is an electronic engine, have you viewed the fault codes?

If so, please post the codes you have and we can work further on them first.

Below is a list of issues the affect throttle control.

Troubleshooting
3054E Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines

Media Number -RENR2417-12 Publication Date -01/08/2008 Date Updated -05/08/2008

Can Not Reach Top Engine RPM

Note: If this fault occurs only under load, refer to Troubleshooting, "Low Power/Poor or No Response to Throttle".

Probable Causes

• Diagnostic codes

• ECM parameters

• Throttle position sensor

• Air intake and exhaust system

• Fuel supply

• Individual malfunctioning cylinders

• Fuel injection nozzles

Recommended Actions

Diagnostic Codes

Check for active diagnostic codes on the electronic service tool. Troubleshoot any active codes before continuing with this procedure.

ECM Parameters

1. Ensure that the fault is not a programmed parameter.

1. Ensure that the correct mode was selected by using the electronic service tool.

1. Use the electronic service tool to verify the correct engine rating for the engine.

1. Use the electronic service tool to verify the maximum engine speed limit.

1. Use the electronic service tool to reset the parameters to the OEM specifications.

1. Ensure that the repairs have eliminated the faults.

1. If the repairs have not eliminated the faults proceed to "Throttle Position Sensor".

Throttle Position Sensor

1. Use the electronic service tool and observe the signal for the throttle position sensor.

1. If the signal is erratic, refer to Troubleshooting, "Throttle Position Sensor Circuit - Test".

1. If the engine has a throttle switch refer to Troubleshooting, "Throttle Switch Circuit - Test".

1. If the repairs have not eliminated the faults proceed to "Air Intake and Exhaust System".

Air Intake and Exhaust System

1. Check the air filter restriction indicator, if equipped.

1. Ensure that the air filter is clean and serviceable.

1. Check the air intake and the exhaust system for the following defects:

• Blockages

• Restrictions

• Damage to the air intake and exhaust lines and hoses

1. Make all necessary repairs to the engine.

1. Ensure that the repairs have eliminated the diagnostic code.

1. If the fault has not been eliminated, proceed to "Fuel Supply".

Fuel Supply

1. Check the fuel pressure. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System Pressure - Test".

1. Ensure that the fuel system has been primed. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System - Prime".

1. Check the diesel fuel for contamination. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel Quality - Test".

1. Check for air in the fuel system. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Air in Fuel - Test".

1. Check that the fuel lines are tight and secured properly.

1. Check for fuel supply lines that are restricted.

1. Check the fuel filters.

1. Visually check the fuel tank for fuel. The fuel gauge may be faulty.

1. If the engine has a water separator, check for water in the fuel.

1. Ensure that the fuel supply valve is in the full OPEN position.

1. If the temperature is below 0 °C (32 °F), check for solidified fuel (wax).

1. If the repairs do not eliminate the fault proceed to "Individual Malfunctioning Cylinders".

Individual Malfunctioning Cylinders

1. With the engine speed at a fast idle, loosen the high pressure fuel line to the fuel injection nozzle of number 1 cylinder. Note if there is any reduction in engine speed. Tighten the high pressure fuel line to the fuel injection nozzle.

1. If all cylinders have been checked and no faults were detected proceed to "Fuel Injection Nozzles".

Fuel Injection Nozzles

1. Remove the fuel injection nozzles from the cylinder head. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Nozzles - Remove".

1. Check the fuel injection nozzles. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel Injection Nozzle - Test".

1. Install the fuel injection nozzles in the cylinder head. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injection Nozzles - Install".

1. Ensure that the repairs have eliminated the fault.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, thank you for the information. I will try to get the fault codes, to let you understand we live in the UK but were involved in a project in the Bahamas, for which we bought this machine at auction from Florida and shipped it over. It has since developed faults which we are trying to help with having fixed. What we have been told is that the attending technician was having difficulty with replacing the throttle positioning sensor which attaches to the throttle pedal, at which point he apparently said it was the wrong part because the machine was built in the uk.
From the point of view of parts replacement this is concerning and we really need to verify if there are differences.
I will do my best re the codes!
The original part number is(###) ###-####and upgrades to a(###) ###-#### Both attach to the same mount and do not require any modification. Verify he is using the new sensor or let me know where he is having trouble.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, the part was replaced in 2014 with one showing the old part number. Should we replace this with the upgraded part? If so should we buy it here in the uk? The US dealer did not mention it had been upgraded.

I have seen problems with both. The old sensor had issues with moisture and the new sensor is plastic and can be damaged easily.

Be careful you do not overtighten the mounting screws.

I would replace it if it has throttle related fault codes just to know that it is not the cause of the codes. (Save the old one just in case the engine software has trouble using the newer type sensor. It has happened and the older part number may work better.)

catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, we are waiting for the service technician (who may be from Kelly Tractors) to attend the machine, hopefully this week, then we may obtain the codes you asked for and return to you.

Thanks for the reply and accepting my answer.

I will be glad to help as much as I can. Hopefully, the dealer technician can find the issue and fix it the same trip.

I would suggest you ask them to bring a sensor with them. If they have it in stock and don't need it, (leave box unopened) they can return it without charges.

It is possible to view the codes using the instrument panel. It is difficult to key the correct key sequence (timing when to turn the key on and off) but the hour meter can show some of the fault codes. (Some engine codes may not appear in the display but, it should show the pedal and other external faults.)

I will attach a file to show you how to access this feature.