Dan
Dan, Journeyman
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a Manitou 629T tele-handler. It is leaking

Customer Question

I have a Manitou 629T tele-handler. It is leaking transmission oil, suspect it is coming from oil sensor plug. Dealership who sold Manitou to me are avoiding repair job, can you tell me is this something I can do myself by just replacing the sensor plug or will there be a more serious underlying cause of the sensor going, which I am possibly not being told about and that will need sorting out? I have the a am cautious about replacing it incase I come up against more serious consequences which I would not be able to solve myself.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola, My name is***** it is just a sensor it it pretty straight forward to unthread and then install the new one and connect the wiring. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan, I have been having problems with this website trying to respond to you. however, I am concerned that there must be a reason for the sensor blowing and leaking oil, does that mean there is possibly an abnormal build up of oil pressure which needs to be addressed - if I just replace the oil sensor, will it just end up blowing again?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Depending on the sensor, some are pipe thread sealed and others have an o ring to seal the sensor unless it is the sensor itself leaking and not from its threads. Replace the sensor and mounting o ring if equipped. It should not blow again. If there are no operational issues and no fine metal or debris in the transmission oil or filter then there is no indication of an internal problem. You should be fine with just the sensor.