Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

I have painted the ceiling in my bedroom and it now smells

Customer Question

I have painted the ceiling in my bedroom and it now smells really awful,like sour milk. Thinking that the paint may have been off? Airing the room hasn't helped and I can't sleep in it. Went to B&Q and was advised to paint over it with new emulsion but it still smells terrible.Would calling in our plasterer to plaster or board over it solve the problem?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 3 years ago.

Hello Im sorry it has taken so long for someone to get to you.

I hope that I can give you some help.

Before you go to the expense of getting it boarded and plastered. Perhaps you could try this. Get some PVA mix it into a faily stiff solution and give two coats to seal the ceiling.

When this is dry after about 8 hrs. Then get some oil based base paint. put a couple of coats of that on. If this seals the smell you can coat it with a finish coat.

I hope that will be successful for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The suggestion to paint over with oil based paint is not satisfactory? I don't want a satinwood/gloss finish on my ceiling.I want emulsion like most people!The final suggestion to paint over the oil base is not good as a water based emulsion would not take to an oil based paint.If I follow the suggestion to seal with dilute PVU,then would it not be possible to then paint over with my chosen emulsion?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sorry to hear about this issue.

The best thing to use is a product called KILZ.

You can get that in an oil base but that is not necessary as it is also available in a water base and it works excellent for mold, mildew and smell coverage from other sources.

I would however go back to the place of purchase for the paint you used originally to ask them what could be wrong with that paint.

They will likely(after hearing your dilemma) supply you the KILZ or similar product free of charge. Tell them you want your money back as well. I have been an expert in issues like this for over 30 years and I will stick with you on this but since this question may continue for some time, if you will rate my service as good or better
before you close this window, the system here will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you
so your question wont close or time out and you can contact me anytime at no additional cost.
Tech Michael