Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

how do you access a potterton kingfisher mf boiler to determine

Customer Question

how do you access a potterton kingfisher mf boiler to determine whether the pilot light is working? there is the sound of a fan when the boiler is switched on but the gas burners do not seem to be working. The pipes are not becoming warm.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
Most have 2 screws at the bottom and then the front lifts off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. There are two screws holding a small panel at the base. Removing this panel revealed another two screws that then allowed me to remove the front panel of the boiler casing.

Presumably, I could then remove the sides but the problem for me is how to light the pilot light which, when lit, would ignite the burners. Of course, that does not solve the problem of why the gas side failed in the first place.

The electrics are OK.

I do not have a users instruction book for this boiler. Can you help?

Robin Nelson

There should be a small viewing window at the bottom, if not can you confirm the GC number from the boiler?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Andrew,

Just below the viewing window stamped on what I presume is the gas detector module is an upside down and very small number 403.

The wiring diagram is numbered part 541642-04

The GC no. will be in the form of XX XXX XX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Andrew,

Success. Found a label on the side panel. Kingfisher boiler CF 70.

GC 41 589 09

Serial number AHMB 912 0007

22.12kW input. Installed - I think - 1999

http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Potterton/POTTERTON%20KINGFISHER%20Mf%20CF%2040-100%20%207.pdf

try this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I now have a copy of the manual - thanks.

It would seem that the fault is either the Honeywell Pilot Burner/flame detector or the pilot burner assembly.

Ignition of the pilot burner with a match as could be done with previous generations of gas boilers cannot be done with this boiler as ignition is automatic.

So, I am beyond my competency limits and reckon that I will need to call upon the services of a registered gas technician.

Regards,

Robin

It is hard to say unless you can hear it ticking as trying to light or a slight woof if the pilot lights itself?