fixer2013
fixer2013, Handyperson
Experience:  I am able to supply most answers for DIY projects, as I have many years experience
74591549

bunglow with tall thin stack needing repointing presently servicing

bunglow with tall thin stack needing repointing presently servicing gas effect open fire. problem is slight rocking motion has been detected at base. if its pointed with this defect wont it make the chimney rigid above where mortar has broken down and gone soft below roofline therefore giving no flex to structure above roof, making it even more likely to fail in high winds, rigid without flexability
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  fixer2013 replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon.

In answer to your question, I am afraid to say that repointing the chimney would be a wasted expense. As it has a weakened structure ie a weak mortar bed on one of the low courses. If we get anymore high winds as we have had recently, a strong gust could topple it. I would get an insurence assessor to look at it and suggest that it is taken down and rebuilt. Your building insurence should pay the costs of this.

I hope that helps you

Expert:  fixer2013 replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,
Many thanks for your rating, I hope that you are able to get your chimney sorted quickly.

Thank you for using Just Answer. If you need help in the future just post your question.

Fixer2013