BuilderNorb
BuilderNorb, Architect
Experience:  20+ Years all aspects of construction.
70426509

I need to force hearing to come on

Customer Question

Hi, the thermostat for our Vaillant ecotech 831 boiler stopped working. The engine who came out claimed to have left the heating on but we have returned from holiday to a cold house. He comes back tomorrow to fit a new thermostat but how do I force the heating on overnight? The usual on /off mechanism is only via the thermostat but there must be a way to do it at the boiler! Nothing in the instructions.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  BuilderNorb replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I would like to offer some help. First, a thermostat is a low voltage switch. It tells the primary power control on your boiler that it needs to heat "switch on" or that it is at desired warmth, "off". If the engineer told you that heat was left "on", then heating would not stop. The system would run continually. This is not a wise or common practice. Unless a temporary thermostat was provided, there would be no way to "switch" your furnace on and off to maintain desired temperature. My advice is to look where the thermostat is located and see if it has been removed. Is wiring exposed? Please be careful, one may be "hot" if not covered. In any case, also check near the heating unit (boiler) to see if a temporary thermostat was patched in. If so, adjust the settings to call for heat, making sure it is in "heat" mode and thermostat turned up. Please let me know if you need further assistance with this matter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This isn't even an answer. I gave you the boiler model nand that it is a wireless thermostat and yet the answer was completely generic.

I apologize for the seemingly generic answer, and you are correct. I was unaware that your system was wireless. Only trying to help you get heat. I hope you have received your thermostat and started heating at this point. If not, please refer back to what I have explained. The only difference in the wireless systems is that instead of having a thermostat attached to the wall, you will find a wireless receiver. This is still just a switch. And as a receiver needs programming, and with your transmitter not working, it would make sense to me that they installed a temporary NON wireless thermostat to your furnace. Look on your walls where the receiver may be mounted. Has it been replaced with a temporary thermostat? Adjust as necessary if you find one. Good luck & stay warm! :)