AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
53189252

Hi there, Weve just changed the light pendant

Customer Question

Hi there, We've just changed the living room light pendant which works with an energy saving bulb, however; it flickers and it does not work at all with a normal bulb. We changed the black wires around and at one point a normal bulb was constantly on. We have a dimmer switch.

The old pendant was pulled off with the llano shade as it was stuck. I accidentally turned the dimmer switch on afterwards and there was a bang/ pop from the damaged pendant. 

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. My name is Tommy and would be glad to assist.

When the dimmer was turned on and there was apparently a short in the old fixture causing the bang/pop, it could have damaged the dimmer.

Not sure why the energy saver bulb works, but it could be a voltage issue.
Dimmers actually change the voltage going to he bulbs and that creates the lower illumination points as you dim down.

Could be just enough to turn on the energy saver and not enough for a standard lamp.

Turn off the power to that light and dimmer switch.

I would bypass the wires around the dimmer, turn the power back on, and try a standard lamp to see if it works.

If the lamp does work properly with the dimmer bypassed, then you need a new one.

Just reply for any further information as needed, thanks