Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

I have a Potterton Prima F60 boiler. The boiler operates normally

Customer Question

I have a Potterton Prima F60 boiler. The boiler operates normally when the timer is on but when the clock switches off during the night the boiler keeps firing up every 4-5 minutes.
The only way I can stop it firing up is to switch the main electric power off . To get any hot water or heating I have to switch the electric power back on.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
How old is the boiler?
Also when did this problem first occur?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Boiler is approx 10 years old. The boiler was switched of for approx 3 weeks and when it was switched back on it started to occur. Had a faulty valve changed and the boiler worked fine for about 3 months but then the boiler was switched off for a week over the new year and the fault has re-occurred ever since.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Terry for that information.
Unfortunately the main control box needs to be replaced.
What happens, and this can occur with all electronics.
When the unit has been turned off at the main after being on for an extended period the circuits get cold, then hot, and this causes undue stress to the electronic components and then you will get failures.
I wish I had better news for you on this I really do, but if you are handy and have a few basic tools you could, with my help replace that part. I can help you locate this part also at no additional cost to you.
I will stick with you on this but Since this may take some time, if you will rate me in a positive fashion before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.
Thank you Terry and have a great day!
Tech Michael