Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

I have bought an appliance which requires a max loading of

Customer Question

I have bought an appliance which requires a max loading of 3.6kw. I believe this should be hard wired. What is the size of cable back to the Consummer Unit, should this be a ring or single cable, also what size breaker in the Consummer Unit ? All advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

3.6kW @ 230V is 15.6A

Andrew Smith :

You will be fine with a 4mm T&E cable running back to a 20A RCD

Andrew Smith :

The size of the cable depends on the length of the run and what is is encased in (plaster, etc)

JACUSTOMER-nvhznm51- :

When investigating further I find I have a unused 6mm T&E cable running back to a 32A Contactum MCB, would this be OK to use? Should I replace the 32A MCB with a 20A MCB (these come in 3 types, which one do I use) ?

Andrew Smith :

The cable will be fine, you will need to down-size the breaker with a 20A MCB - get the make and model from the 32A one that is currently installed, or take it out and take it to a electrical distributor and get them to match it.