Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

I have a potterton suprima. It started to randomly switch itself

Customer Question

I have a potterton suprima. It started to randomly switch itself off and indicated a flashing XXXXX XXXXXght. If I tweked the thermostat up and down, then it triggered it to fire up again. However, it was a pain to come home to a cold house the whole time with the need to wait until it had warmed up and maybe waking with a cold house. So I called an Plumber in and he changed the board. This did not resolve the issue, so I called him back stressing how keen I was that he diagnoses the problem correctly. He changed the thermostat. I now have a boiler that sometimes, does not heat up the water and the heating has been going crazy at night, even though it is not set to come on in the middle of the night.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

You need to confirm what part has been replaced, as this sounds like the age-old Potterton Suprima PCB problem (Google it) and the only real answer is a PCB swap that involves the wiring harness, like this;

Andrew Smith :

http://www.partscenter.co.uk/en/heating-parts/domestic-boiler-parts/potterton-domestic-boiler-parts/suprima/suprima-40/potterton-5111603-kit-printed-circuit-board-spares-34415

Andrew Smith :

Did he check the motorised valve in the airing cupboard, if this is sticking it can bring the heating or hot water on at funny times?