Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

To whom it may concern, I am attempting to change a light

Customer Question

To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to change a light fitting. I removed the previous light at found 9 x wires (3 of each L, N, E), i firstly connected them all to the new light. After turning the trip switch and lights on, the switch board tripped out, taking four other lights with it. Now none of the lights will turn on (if if the switch board is set to on), what do you recommend?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

In you fitting you will have a LNE in

Andrew Smith :

A LNE out

Andrew Smith :

and a switch wire (with or without earth)

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

The switch has that wire configuration.

Andrew Smith :

If you can trace which one is the switch wire?

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

The issue is i have turned all the switches on at the switch board and none of the lights work in the living room kitchen.

Andrew Smith :

the other two cables go into the L N and E connections in a junction box

Andrew Smith :

I understand that, but they will not work until wired correctly

Andrew Smith :

Did you take a junction box off?

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

Shall i take the switch off the wall?

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

No i didn't take the junction box off the wall!

Andrew Smith :

The junction box where the light was?

Andrew Smith :

How were the wires connection before you took the light off?

Andrew Smith :

The back end of the ceiling rose is a junction box

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

Yes i took it off, as there was a new one on the new lights

Andrew Smith :

but it will not take all 3 wires, the one with the new light is just the feed for the light

Andrew Smith :

If you imagine leaving the existing fitting up there then the flex that led to the light will now feed your new light fitting

Andrew Smith :

You still need the junction box in place

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

Previously, all three wires had been wired into the one light.

Andrew Smith :

no, they were connected to the junction box that fed the light

Andrew Smith :

the junction box was part of the light

Andrew Smith :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

Yes.

Andrew Smith :

You need to reinstate the junction box as per the drawing attached

JACUSTOMER-nk1cb5q2- :

The junction box is part of the previous light fitting. The lights now turn on, but the light i'm adjusting only turns on when it should be off.

Andrew Smith :

Do you need to turn the light switch the other way up to sort this - or are you saying it is a different problem