Michael
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
11519491

Do you know anything about subwoofer amplifiers

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
What exactly would you like to know;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Yes I would like to know if my amp is repairable I unscrewed the rear panel on the sub saw 2 x 3.15 fuses blown , replaced them turned the power on and these 2 blew instantly , di you think this would be repairable at a minimum cost or do I simply buy a new one at £150 ?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Robert, Thanks for that.
Yes the problem is a burned FET or power transistor, you may be able to see that or at least smell in. It would be attached to a large heat sink. What happened is it shorted internally and thats why the fuse blow.
If you can solder, and don't mind digging in, I can help you with a place to get that part.
Please let me know.
I will stick with you or you could have a stereo repair shop local to you fix this at a minimum of cost.
Since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.
Tech Michael