canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

Hi I have a 9.5se Gainsborough shower, and suddenly it has

Hi I have a 9.5se Gainsborough shower, and suddenly it has got a fault.
When I turn it on and it's on warm the water trickles out and it's cold.
When I put it on cold it still trickles out but it's scalding then the whole thing cuts off and there is nothing coming out.
Please help
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you remove the shower head or remove the shower sprayer from the hose does it do the same thing?

Customer: Will check no the same
canuck the pro :

1. Also check by removing the hose and see if it works from the port the hose is connected to. Check the power supply to unit. Ensure the water supply to the shower is turned on and the isolation valve is fully opened.Check if the water control is turned fully clockwise. Turn the flow control knob anticlockwise to increase water flow.

Customer: It does it either on hot or cold, trickles out then the pressure builds up goes mega hot then cuts off
canuck the pro :

I think we just hit enter at the same time. Did you see my other suggestions?

Customer: Yeah I did will try it now
canuck the pro :

Very good. I will be here.

Customer: Did that and it just does the same ( trickles out )
canuck the pro :

Have you cleaned the inlet filter? It does have power?

Customer: Yeah it has power
canuck the pro :

The flow control knob seems backwards to me. Doesn't it seem to increase the flow it would turn clockwise?

Customer: No if I turn it too the cold or hot it doesn't seem to have a effect
canuck the pro :

Isn't there a temperature control knob and a volume or flow control?

Customer: Where would I find the inlet filter
canuck the pro :

Here are directions on cleaning the filter:

1. Turn the shower electrical isolating switch off(at the consumer unit or mains fuse).
2.Isolate the water supply to the shower.
3. Carefully remove badge and loosen the fixing screw,then lift off the cover
4.Unscrew the two screws on the filter protective cover and remove the filter
assembly
5.Clean the filter assembly as necessary.
6.Refit the filter assembly and protective cover. Reassemble the unit in reverse
ofthe above procedure

Customer: Done that and no change
canuck the pro :

You tried without the hose?

Customer: No will try it
canuck the pro :

Ok

Customer: Sorry to say it is the same still trickles out
canuck the pro :

Without the hose connected there is still a trickle? Even with the flow control knob turned anti-clockwise?

Customer: Yes
canuck the pro :

Well that takes care of all the possible easy fixes. The solenoid internally may be the issue then. Here is a video on how to test it. It is a different shower than yours in the video but still the same procedure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzJjzWqxesc

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Handyman