Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs in home repair/building - 10 yr in live theatre set design/building
3714457

I AM CHANGING SWITCH FUSES FROM 100AMP TO 200A ON A JOB I AM

Customer Question

I AM CHANGING SWITCH FUSES FROM 100AMP TO 200A ON A JOB I AM DOING, THE INTAKE IS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING THERE IS A SWITCH FUSE IS NEXT TO IT, ON THE OTHER SIDE OFF WALL IS ANOTHER SWITCH FUSE THEN DISTRIBUTION BOX DO I NEED 2 SWITCH FUSES BECAUSE INTAKE IS OUTSIDE OR CAN IGET AWAY WITH ONE
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
You can not just change the switch fuses to 200 amps. The meter feed, the meter, and meter socket may also need to be changed for a 200 amp feed. What size wires feed the meter socket. Is there an amp rating on the meter. Is there a label that gives the amp rating for the meter/main breaker combo?

Even if the meter is good for 200 you still need to determine if the feed wires to the socket and the meter and main panel are rated for 200 amps. Safe wiring is not something to be learned after the fire trucks have left. I wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't need any information about cable size and rating the questions is do I need 2 switch fuses because intake is outside it less than 3 meters from fuse board do I need 2 switch fuses or not frank
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
HI,
Per your question, I cannot answer this only because I don't know where you live and depending on your location depends on what your electrical code says about it. Every place is different. If you can give me a location as to where you are then I can look up the code and get back to you. However you can also go to your nearest building inspection office and they can site you directly in what needs to be done. I wish I can be more helpful on this question but there is alot of information needed for me or anyone to give you an honest answer. I wish you the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am in kt1 area can u answer question or not Frank
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank;

Thank you for getting back. In referance to your question, this is a tough one to answer. Your question can be answered in one of two ways ... depending on how many changes you made or lack there of, you may be required to leave well enough alone and get stuck replacing both switches. (Grand father clause) However, when I read about installing new meters you may be reqired to get by with just one. However said, in what you are asking the code that pertains to this does not make it clear. Because of that, I'm sorry I can't give you an honest answer as to which direction you can go. What I did find for you was this web site. It's the goverment site pertaining to electrical safety. These people can better address your question since they are the ones who wrote or helped write the current codes we all now must follow by.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/building-regulations-electrical-safety

I would just contact them and they can better advise you in what action you can take sice this part of the code could be taken in different ways. I wish you the best.

Gary