Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

The radiators are not working, but the hot water is and indicates

Customer Question

The radiators are not working, but the hot water is and indicates 60 when the tap is running ,then the temperature indicator disappears. There is no error code.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Are the radiators cooler on top and warmer on the bottom? Do you have a combi system?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

I have an E combo system

canuck the pro :

Do you know what your system pressure is at?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

It is 1 and a half

canuck the pro :

How about the radiators themselves? Are they cooler on top and warmer on the bottom? Is the problem with all of the radiators? Hot water works fine?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

They are completely cold, all of them. Hot water is fine.

canuck the pro :

Did this just happen or did it happen when changing the settings? Do you have a wireless thermostat?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Yes I have a wireless thermostat. This happened during the course of the day . I manually change the temperature settings as I go along. It could have happened during one such change.

canuck the pro :

The wireless thermostat is still connected? When was the last time the batteries were changed?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Yes it is still connected. batteries were changed more than 8 months ago.

canuck the pro :

Is the pump really hot? Humming?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

No pump is not humming and it is not hot.

canuck the pro :

It is running though?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Yes, I think so

canuck the pro :

The issue would be with the diverter or port valve. Likely the port valve is sticking. If you remove the diverter and can free the port valve that may be all it needs but if the port valve has been sticking it may have burnt out the diverter and the diverter would need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Even when the boiler is only 14 months old?

canuck the pro :

Is the diverter and port valve also new?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Yes everything is new.

canuck the pro :

Piping too?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Yes

canuck the pro :

This is a new home? The whole piping system was replaced?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Yes it s a refurbished home the her is new piping.

canuck the pro :

I'm going to opt out. Something doesn't add up there and I don't know what it is.

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

Do I get a refund?

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

You won't even let me rate this. It's off to the regulator then

JACUSTOMER-jjktv34s- :

How do I rate when the expert has opted out?

canuck the pro :

No rating needed. Another expert should take over soon.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi this could be the diverter valve but it could also be that there is air in the lines that needs to be bled out, that will stop the water from flowing. Do your radiators have bleeders on them?
Tech Michael